Written by: Tiffany Yapp
When you go camping, you want to be able to relax and have some fun, but maybe you’re not sure which activities to do. I’ve put together a list of some fun activities to help you figure out what you can do while camping.
From yard games to board games, there are a lot of games you can play while camping. When choosing which ones to bring, you need to think about how much space the game will take up when packing, if you’ll actually have time to play the game, and who will be playing the game (kids and/or adults). Below is a list of my favorite games to play while camping.
- Bean Bag Toss
- Teste Toss
- Bocce Ball
- Frisbee Golf
- Capture the Flag
- Poker/Texas Holdem
- Apples to Apples
- Cards Against Humanity (adults only)
- Two Truths and a Lie
There are tons of fun activities you can do if your campsite is near a lake, river, or pool. You can do a relaxing water activity, or a more exhilarating activity, Either way, just put your swimsuit on, cool off and have fun.
- Boat, canoe, or kayak
- Go water skiing
- Go tubing
- Ride a wave runner
- Skip stones
- Build a sand castle
Even if you aren’t camping near water, there are still some water activities you can try.
- Have a water balloon fight
- Have a squirt gun fight
- If you have access to running water, bring an inflatable wading pool and fill it up
A great part about camping is that you get to be out in nature and enjoy everything it has to offer. Try some of these activities to explore the great outdoors, but also be respectful of the area.
- Animal watching
- Collect fireflies in a jar
- Nature gathering (pine cones, rocks, flowers, etc.)
- Search for wild berries, nuts, and other edible plants
- Have a scavenger hunt
- Go on a photo safari, taking pictures of the flora and fauna you find
- Collect firewood or kindling
Around the Campfire:
Hanging out around the campfire is one of the most memorable camping experiences. Below are some activities to do by the firelight.
- Make s’mores
- Tell ghost stories
- Sing campfire songs
- Play a guitar, harmonica, or another instrument
Camping can be one of the best stress relievers, so make sure to take some time to relax while camping. Below are my favorite ideas for chilling out.
- Swing in a hammock
- Listen to nature
- Take lots of naps
- Daydream and let your mind wander
- Float on the water
- Read books or magazines
- Crafting (knitting, sewing, drawing)
- Obstacle course
- Rock climbing
- Tree climbing
- Bring your pets along and they can join in on the fun
- Talk and socialize with other campers
- Try new camping recipes and food.
- Watch movies on portable devices (for those rainy days)